May 30, 2013

Pineapple Upside Down Muffins



Oh wow! I made these muffins and took this picture on March 11, 2008, started this post but never got around to publishing it.  Incredible! The little boy in the picture is now a young man! This post is FIVE YEARS late!  Now I don't even remember the story behind the making of the muffins. :(  Sigh.

What I do remember, judging by the look of the muffins:

1. I had leftover Pineapple Tidbits and decided to use that in addition to the pineapple slices I also had left over.

2. Since I used my trusty Turbo Broiler instead of a conventional oven (because that's all I had back then), some of the muffins rose unevenly, making it hard to turn them upside down.

3. Since I decided to use leftover Pineapple Tidbits I had to scale down by baking the batter in muffin cups rather than a regular cake pan (because the bits would look less pretty on a regular pan than pineapple slices would).  Upon closer look I realized that I actually used llaneras for leche flan instead of regular muffin cups.

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN MUFFINS

What's In It?

CAKE
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk powder (I used Birch Tree)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil

TOPPING
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 can (8 oz.) pineapple tidbits in juice, drained (about 3/4 cup)
9 maraschino cherries, halved

Kitchen Conjugations:

Make the cake by combining the flour, sugar, milk powder, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, water and oil. Beat for 30 seconds on medium speed until the cake ingredients are combined well and the mixture is free of lumps. Set aside.

Grease muffin cups, then make the topping: Combine brown sugar and butter in a bowl. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the brown sugar mixture into each greased muffin cup. Arrange 4 to 5 pineapple tidbits and 1/2 cherry on top of each brown sugar mixture.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups filling up to half of each mold.

Bake in a turbo broiler for 15 to 20 minutes at 250 C or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 1 minute. Run knife around edges of the cupcakes; invert onto wire rack(s). Re-position any dislodged pineapple piece. Best served warm.

0 comments: