Jul 10, 2014

Korean Chicken Barbecue

My family is big on Korean food. When we dine out, nearby Korean restaurants like Seoul Koreana and Soga Miga are always an option.  Kaso, magastos!

So I was happy to find a recipe for Korean Chicken Barbecue in the November 2013 issue of Yummy Magazine:


Kakatakam, 'no? Buti na lang I had all the ingredients called for in my pantry:


And I set out to make it right away for dinner. :) I doubled the recipe found in the magazine so that I have enough for everyone.  I also upped the spice by putting more gochujang. :)


KOREAN CHICKEN BARBECUE

What's In It?

1/2 c rice wine
1/4 c soy sauce
6 T gochujang (Korean chili paste -- the red tub in the photo above)
4 T brown sugar
2 T minced garlic
2 T sesame oil
2 T vegetable oil
1 kg. boneless chicken thighs or breasts, sliced into 1-inch thick strips
2 T vegetable oil (for grilling)
toasted sesame seeds or chopped green onions (for garnish)

Kitchen Conjugations:

Make the marinade by combining the first 7 ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer the mixture over low heat until sugar dissolves.  Remove from fire and set aside to cool completely.

Marinate the chicken strips in the cooled marinade.  Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour; best if overnight.

Heat the 2T vegetable oil in a cast iron grill or heavy-bottomed frying pan.  Pan-fry chicken in batches until thoroughly cooked.

Transfer cooked chicken onto a serving plate and garnish with toasted sesame seeds or chopped green onion.  Serve with kimchi on the side if desired.  Best with a steaming bowl of rice. :)

0 comments: